Loughton Cricket Club aims to be fair to all its members in selecting the team for league, midweek and friendly fixtures (Adults & Juniors). Players must be registered and have paid in full (current year) annual subscription, to be selected for league games.
Selection for midweek and friendly fixtures (including warm up games) will follow the same rules in principle but there will be more flexibility in terms of blooding new players. New players will be required to register and pay the annual subscription in the days following the game and are unlikely to be selected again until this process has been completed.
Team selection(s) are made via the club website and email notification(s) are sent to those selected. It is very important that you confirm your place in the side via the website or telephone the team captain/manager, at least 2 days prior to the game.
If your availability changes following confirmation (for any reason) you must inform the team captain/manager as soon as possible so a replacement can be found. If you assign yourself as ‘unavailable’ but then subsequently become available, please advise the team captain/manager, this does not guarantee that a place in the side is still available.
It is important that players include their current details on the website database and update their availability as it changes. This is the information that the team captains/managers will use to pick the team(s). With an increasing number of teams and players, this becomes increasingly important. (Please make sure you inform the team captain/manager of this) in certain cases (limited access to the internet etc) the team captains/managers will be happy to update this on your behalf.
Guiding Principles & Selection Priority:
- All Competitive XI (Adults & Juniors) will represent the strongest side of registered players the club can field, aiming for league promotion/win. 4th/5th XI will serve as a development hub for most youngsters, senior players looking for social cricket will be encouraged to play in the 5th XI+
- Sunday XI (Adults) aims to be competitive but much more about improving player skills and confidence.
- Friendly and midweek games (Adults & Juniors) will be used to give everyone an opportunity to play. Those not selected to represent league fixtures will get priority over league players in the upcoming friendly/midweek game(s), as long as a reasonable balanced side* can be maintained.
If more than eleven registered players are available, the following selection criteria shall apply/be in consideration (not in any particular order):
- Teams will always be selected on the basis of skill, form, subscriptions paid, training attendance and ‘team balance’ (sufficient batting, bowling and fielding).
- Team balance is defined by ensuring that each team is made up of 2 opening batsmen, 3 middle order batsmen, 1 all-rounder, 1 wicketkeeper & 4 bowlers (minimum).
- Commitment to the club
- Regular Attendance at club training/nets (winter & summer)
- Player Form
- Overall availability
- Whether people are contactable
- Reliability and punctuality
The club’s definition of registered player is:
- A Player has completed a Registration/Membership Form and it has been accepted/approved by the club.
- A Player has paid his/her annual subscription fees for the season.
- A Player has been registered with the relevant league (where applicable).
Whilst the selection decision should conform to the adopted selection policy, the final decision rests with the team captains, vice Captains (Adult Sides) / Managers (Junior Sides) and selection committee (Adults & Juniors). For Junior fixtures & U18's T20/20/Development XI it’s the Youth Cricket Coordinator/Head Coach (Junior Competitive fixture selection will primarily be based on ability, role as per the squad requirement)*+
PLEASE NOTE: Previous (year(s)) performances are taken in to account but teams will be selected on current form and commitment.
+Teams will always be selected on the basis of skill, form, subscriptions paid, training attendance and ‘team balance’ (sufficient batting, bowling and fielding).
* Team balance is defined by ensuring that each team is made up of 2 opening batsmen, 3 middle order batsmen, 1 all-rounder, 1 wicketkeeper & 4 bowlers (minimum).